Want to start making your impact?
Use these checklists as a guideline and turn them into competitions between your family and friends.
Domestic households account for one of the highest electricity consumptions in the Brunei! This subsequent use of large amounts of energy has consequential effects on the increase in Greenhouse gases which includes Carbon! Based on US averages of household carbon emission, we can save around 6-8 tonnes carbon by:
- Switch off electrical appliances when not in use
- Set your air-conditioning to 23 degrees Celcius
- Buy local! Get your veggies from the local market (they are much cheaper and fresh too)
- Replace your lighting with LED bulbs
- Use solar-powered lighting where possible (e.g. outdoors)
- Cut down on single-use plastic
- Buy secondhand goods whenever possible
- Bring your own containers if buying cooked food
- Bring your own shopping bags
- Meatless Mondays. Have at least one day a week dedicated to a diet without meat.
- Use energy-saving appliances – pick appliances with 4 ticks on its energy-saving label.
- Use fan instead of the air conditioner during the day time when possible.
- Refill your own water bottle instead of buying bottled water whenever/wherever possible.
Schools are a place of innovation! However, it is also a contributor to Greenhouse gases (9.4 tonnes according to the Sustainable Development Commission in the UK). Here are a few challenges that can reduce these emissions:
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle for classroom activities
- Set up recycling collection points (can even turn it into a competition between sport houses)
- Bring Your Own container days
- Volunteer in tree planting or beach/river cleanup events.
- Only print notes when necessary.
- Have a collection point where seniors can leave books/notes for juniors to use.
AT YOUR WORKPLACE
There are many opportunities in making your workplace a better environment, here are a few challenges to do so:
- Stop distributing bottled water during meetings, and instead invest in water dispensers for the office.
- Go paperless- only print when necessary and use emails as your main communication.
- Set up recycling collection points in each department.
- Cut down on air travel and have Skype meetings wherever possible.
- Whenever air travel is necessary, ensure you offset your carbon footprint.